Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Inquiry questions for my Senior Project.

Everyone have different senior project, and everyone have different inquiry questions. We've all put down a lot of thoughts and we all have good inquiry question. Now, I'm putting mine on this blog so people can give me suggestions. Please feel free to criticize it if you think it's crap.

Inquiry questions #1.
Can the design of a furniture change a person's personality?

I came up with this questions because I've realized that the world today is surrounded by designs. Weather it's creative designs or just simple designs, it's all designs. Sooner, a person's personality could be changed by the designs around them. For example, an outback person's personality would change if he move to big city. He's life tempo would be expected to faster, and he's living style would be expected to change as well. So I asked myself, does furniture also have a power to shape a person's personality?

Inquiry question#2
Why aren't people adapting green technologies?

Green technologies are known for saving money and planet in the same time. A energy efficient light bulb might cost more then a normal one, but in a longterm, it saves more money. But how come a lot of people still get normal light bulb? Is it because people don't know it? Is it because people are more interested in their short term income? Is it because people hate the idea of green technology?

This two are my inquiry question. As you can see, it's not fully developed. I will still make changes to it. But so far, this is what I've got. I will answer these questions while working on my senior project, which I don't know yet.

So~if you have anything you think you should add, please feel free to comment on my blog.

6 comments:

Ivy said...

I have to admit that your first inquiry question is very interesting, and it got me thinking about it for a while. At the beginning, I can hardly find any direct connection between the design of furniture and someone’s personality, nonetheless, at the end; I’d managed to figure out some indirect connections between the two.

First of all, I think the design of the furniture has more contribution to the mood of the person, which it is possible that it eventually changes the personality of the person. Nonetheless, how would you explain the difference of personality for people lived around the same design of furniture? In addition, I think that the greatest contributors for changing someone’s personality are the people around and the environment.

By the way, my house has 3 different themes along with 3 different types of furniture, one is the simple and modernized style, the other one is Bali style, and the last one is Chinese antique style. So, does it mean that I should have 3 quite different personalities? lol

jiwoon kim said...

I'm interesting and really like your first question about design can influence our culture.

Well, i think it's possible and important for them. Because, as you know, when we are try to remember something, it's much easy to remember with some logo's or pictures etc. Like we spoke about during Art class, design and image can influence our culture and society a lot by visual.

Mr. U.g.n.e. said...

Your second question is very very interesting. I guess the answer to that will be the kind of answers from "Freaknomics"; it's gonna be something we've never thought about.

sheryl gruber said...

Both ideas are good. I think the second one is more in line with our course and will also be much easier to research. You can propose several possibilities as to why people are not using green design and then research each of these. And, your lived experience can be to design such a building and determine if the reasons people give for not doing it are actually valid.

The only reason I hesitate for your first question is that I think it will be very difficult, and seems to fit better into a Psychology class. Perhaps something to use for your doctoral thesis :)

And, btw, self-depreciation is not necessary on these posts, people were asked for honest feedback and they will give it to you.

Aled Lines said...

I like your post, how you included 2 potential inquiry questions. I think that you should go with the first question, because it is more creative and interesting. Whether or not furniture can effect personality is a very fascinating topic, and I think that the second question of why people haven't adapted to greener technology has a much duller answer. Great job!

Anonymous said...

The phrase is removed